The Council for the International Promotion of Costa Rica Medicine PROMED is the private not-for-profit organization that coordinates the efforts carried out to ensure the quality of services provided by the private health industry in Costa Rica and their international promotion, with the intention of consolidating the country as a center for global medicine and a major destination for medical tourism.
This board was born out of the need the private sector and the State had to supervise the quality of services rendered to medical tourism patients with the purpose of guaranteeing the sustainable growth of this industry.
To fulfill this goal, PROMED develops regulatory standards and promotes the certification of service providers, with the support of international bodies and the training of local certifiers.
PROMED also looks to:
- Secure Costa Rica’s position internationally as a medical tourism and retirement destination based on high-quality medical services and the hospitality image that already distinguishes the country.
- Ease the opening of new international markets by comprehensively promoting health and medical tourism.
- Support the efforts of health authorities to standardize medical attention services.
- Participate actively in the development of national strategies for promoting and attracting investment that benefits both industries.
- Educate and support the creation of a more highly professional and specialized human capital within the tourism and health industries to improve their competitiveness.
PROMED brings together health service providers, health professionals, tourism service providers, academia, and other marketers of goods and services related to health and tourism.
As a reference body in the medical tourism sector, PROMED drives the coordination between the private and public sectors to attain Costa Rica’s international consolidation, and it does so through its private role in the medical tourism cluster.
In the same way, it leads the implementation of the actions necessary to strengthen the offer of health tourism services to reach greater international competitiveness.